Monday, January 6, 2014

Killer Monday: The Power of Positive Thinking

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Monday, January 6, 2014
  • __5.2__ lbs. over/under Goal Weight (note to self: Holidays are over...stop eating)
  • 1680      Calories Consumed Yesterday (the hidden bag of mini-Twix I found at the bottom of my daughter's stocking was too tempting to deny--weak sauce)
  • __2__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (yay! progress...)
  • __2 hrs Minutes Spent Writing (Sundays are my go-to writing days, glory glory hallelujah)
  • _1__Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (all I could muster was warming up some take out spaghetti--wife of the year)
I believe in the power of positive thinking (after all it's THE SECRET). Good things come to those who put themselves out there and believe.

So Friday night rolls around and I'm thinking, "What in the bloody hell am I going to do for my first Killer Monday blog, and how can I start off wooing The Killers with a bang?"

I start brainstorming with Mr. Humphries about ways to do it, and I say, "Why not go all Sex and the City on this one?"

To which he sits up and replies, "What did you say about sex?"

I shoot him a compassionate, yet condescending look (like the one I give my dog when I go into the pantry and don't come out with a bone) and explain, "In the show Sex and the City, the main character writes a column. My idea is to write a column in the Las Vegas newspaper to get The Killers attention!"

He's slightly disappointed, but goes along with it, mentioning he went to high school with a guy at the paper and promises to contact him. And we go to bed--with the understanding he will get his sex in the city if I get my Sex and the City contact at the paper.

Saturday morning we head to our 5 year old's basketball game, and guess who we see?

I kid you not...my husband's contact at the paper--Ray Brewer! I pitch him my idea and he digs it. Turns out that Ray used to play street ball with the bass guitarist, Mark Stoermer, when they were kids. Hah!

Back before Mark turned into a real-life rock star, Mark went to high school with all of us, graduating two years after Ray and my husband, and one year before me--Chaparral Class of 1995).

Then and now:

Hello, 80's hair! You were so rad... (I chose "now" pictures that have both Mark and I gently stroking our hair :)...haha


Long story short: I'm sending Ray a sample of my first column (which I wrote today) and he is taking it to his editorial meeting. Watch out Killers! I'm serious about this crazy-cyber-stalking idea of mine!

Did you have a power-of-positive-thinking weekend?


Love,

Jessie With A Shot At The Night


15 comments:

  1. Wow! That's an amazing story. Fingers crossed for you that he offers you a job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Best of luck!

    My weekend was sort of dampened a little last night, but like you, I am trying to embrace the power of positive thought to turn it around! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab idea! Way to get The Killers out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are crazy. I love it. Anything for The Killers, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rock, Jessie, in so many ways. I can't wait to hear what happens with the column!

    (I'm pretty sure I have a picture of me with that exact same hair!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessie, i have an amazing picture of him and Barbara Rollins (who has since past away) Lots of nights he slept on our couch and played guitar till weee hours in the morning. I should send it to you. He has great hair in that pic too. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby just might get his reward. Ha, I'm so dirty. Glad you are moving forward and can't wait to see all the excitement for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only see good things coming from this. You're the rockstar!!! haha :) love that old pic, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA HA HA! Is that really your hair in high school? I'm dying here. You should totally get a perm again. It's soooooooo hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like both your high school and now pictures! And good luck with the column! I hope you get it! I didn't have a positive thinking weekend so much as a "I tried not to fall down in the snow and failed several times" weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so jealous. The Killers are one of my favorite groups! Best of luck on your articles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to go all THE SECRET with you too and send some powerfully positive vibes out there for this Killer's gig to come about. Your stalking game plan totally rocks--pun intended!

    ReplyDelete