Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday Quickie: The Happiness Advantage

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It. 
 
Thursday, January 16, 2014
  • __*** lbs. over/under Goal Weight (10 days until the HB Half-Marathon...can't wait to see what 13.1 miles can do to a weigh-in!)
  • 1800 Calories Consumed Yesterday (damn you nice neighbors who doorbell-ditch me with fresh baked cookies! It's a good thing said friend texted me after so I didn't throw them away suspecting someone was trying to kill me with chocolate-chip-rat-poison-cookies! )
  • __5__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (yah! Call the TV show Intervention on me, see if I care! I'll just say, "I can quit whenever I want." And run away.)
  • _ 3 hrs Spent Writing (and stalking the PitchWars agent round--my Mentee is cleaning up with agent requests!)
  • _1__   Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (A "healthy" pasta with olive oil, onion, garlic, zucchini, and the magic ingredient....bacon! Ok, maybe not that healthy. Sue me!)
Thursday Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING (or otherwise publication related) TIP. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be sweetly swaying to Lionel Richie's "Do It To Me":


You know you want to!

Anywayz, back to writing stuff. This week, a writing friend posted a really awesome TED talk about the "Happiness Advantage." Here's the link:

If you don't have time to watch it, here's what it Boils down to:

If you have a positive state of mind (a happy state of mind), you will perform dramatically better than a negative or neutral state of mind. And this is how you do it:
  • write down three things in which you are grateful for everyday (cookies, PitchWars Mentees, bacon :)
  • journal your thoughts (blogging)
  • exercise (ran 20 miles this week)
  • mediation (prayer...and staring at my computer screen praying for inspiration)
  • perform random but conscious acts of kindness (hmmm....???...accepting the cookies?)
There you have it! Five steps to be happy, perform better, and achieve your dreams!

Love,
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

5 comments:

  1. I especially like the tip about performing random acts of kindness; I think that doing that makes other people happy, and it makes me happy to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to write those in my journal and do them. The older I get (blah) the more often the moodies hit me. I could blame hormones, but I think it's perception and that we can change! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books friends, fingers so I can write. That's three things. Positive thinking rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I am so thankful for my awesome mentor. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. A positive mindset is SO important. I love those tips on how to achieve it!

    ReplyDelete