Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thursday Quickie: Justin Bieber & Bad Kitty

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It. 
 
Thursday, January 16, 2014
  • __*** lbs. over/under Goal Weight (I've been convinced to abandon tracking this goal while training for the 1/2 marathon because of all the awesome butt and leg muscles I'm gaining--muscles which allegedly weigh more than the previous fat ;0)
  • 1600 Calories Consumed Yesterday (chocolate/peanut butter protein shakes, if prepared correctly, taste like a sinful indulgence. My new fave.)
  • __3__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (most of the calories I consumed today were strangely in liquid form...what's that about?)
  • _ 0 hrs Spent Writing (but plenty of book-ish tasks were accomplished: blogged, teleconference with publicists in NY, attended a book signing, CP chat)
  • _2__   Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (I am rockin' the Vitamix blender these days...smoothies, shakes, etc.)
Thursday Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING (or otherwise publication related) TIP. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be goin' all old-school to the Justin Bieber song, "Baby, Baby, Baby":

Awe, remember when he so fresh and cute? And didn't get busted for spitting on people or having drugs in his mansion?

Anyway, here's the quickie: ATTEND BOOK SIGNINGS AND EVENTS IN YOUR COMMUNITY.

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a book signing at a local Barnes & Noble for BAD KITTY author, Nick Bruel.
That's Nick signing books in the background :) with me, my ragamuffin children, and my oldest daughter's kindergarten teacher Mrs. Leet, whose presence was such a lovely surprise. The way my daughter's eyes lit up when I pointed out Mrs. Leet in the audience was priceless. Especially since it was Mrs. Leet who introduced to BAD KITTY in the first place.  

We were able to take a couple of our neighbors with us, meet a few other friends there, and have a genuinely great time amongst books and friends. Barnes & Noble manager, Crystal Perkins, is soo good at rounding up amazing authors to visit, and it's becoming more and more apparent to me how important it is to be involved in these kind of things. Supporting fellow authors, getting our children excited about books, promoting literacy in the community, it's what we should be doing as writers. Not just writing books.

Have you been to any cool author signings or book events lately?

Love,
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

7 comments:

  1. Let's all have a moment of silence for Justin! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's an amazing idea! My son was a Bad Kitty fan, such cute books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun!! And that sounds like an amazing B&N.

    I've mostly been to launches lately, but Provo Library puts on some fabulous events. I love going to those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much fun to take your kids to a book signing! I wish anyone found it worthwhile to come here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this tip! And the old school Biebs. ;) My library has a bunch of events, and I really need to start attending some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're awesome! Thank you so much!! Loving that you're waiting on weight until after your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're awesome! Thank you so much!! Loving that you're waiting on weight until after your marathon!

    ReplyDelete