Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thursday Quickie: Push It

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It. 
 
Thursday, January 9, 2014
  • __5.3 lbs. over/under Goal Weight (should have just thrown that mother-lovin' ice cream away!)
  • 1050 Calories Consumed Yesterday (DoTerra Protein Shakes sure taste like butt compared to Ben & Jerry's)
  • __3__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (what? I needed the energy to run my Ben & Jerry's Ass off!)
  • _30   Minutes Spent Writing (or freaking out about writing because I just received a new deadline from my editor for RUBY ROSE #2)
  • _1__   Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (tried to recycle some of my feta, tomato, and green onion dip into an al dente pasta...turned out like recycled al dente vomit...so the kids ate Toy Story noodle soup out of a can)
Thursday Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING (or otherwise publication related) TIP. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be jamming to the song "Push It" by Salt-N-Pepa:

Or not.

But I still want you to PUSH IT. What I mean is: Get out of your comfort zone. Take risks. PUSH yourself to do the thing you are most afraid of. It will pay off in one way or another...I swear!

About a year ago, I decided to step back from my career as an attorney so that I could focus on writing (and family and some other crap ;0 jk) and the risk paid off--I landed my dream agent (Sarah Davies of Greenhouse Literary Agency), I sold two books, and a bunch of other positive things happened. I realize it's hard to place a value on most of these things. It's not playing roulette where you either win or you lose. Sometimes we never see a direct benefit when we put ourselves out there, and other times all of our wildest dreams can come true. (Like The Killers could come play at my book launch :).

So how are you going to PUSH IT?

Love,

Jessie With A Shot At The Night

3 comments:

  1. I've been putting off writing this Russian fairy-tale retelling for over a year, so I'm going to push myself by finishing it in the next two months! Or at least trying my best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Push it, huh? Kind of in the same vein as one of my fav sayings, "nothing ventured, nothing gained." Pitchwars was my "push it" and I love where's it's taken me. Great advice here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pushing it for me currently means forcing myself to write instead of procrastinating. I have been working a lot this week, but I need to work harder if I am going to reach my next writing goal!

    ReplyDelete