Wednesday, January 8, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014
  • __4.8__ lbs. over/under Goal Weight (hovering, like a round bootylicious UFO)
  • 1670     Calories Consumed Yesterday (It's never a good sign when you eat the rest of the ice cream container just so to make room in the freezer for more fresh ice cream)
  • __2__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (have you ever had a Rockstar energy drink? HOLYHELLNUTS that stuff is strong.)
  • __20   Minutes Spent Writing (F for effing effort)
  • _3__Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (banana pancakes, turkey & lentil chili, and feta dip with sourdough baguettes--not all at the same time ;)
Today, I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday- a weekly writing meme to stay in touch.

  1. WHAT I'M READING- ELEANOR & PARK by Rainbow Rowell-- great voice, touching story, a delicious read.
  2. WHAT I'M WRITING- Mostly blog posts, columns for my hopeful newspaper debut, critiques for friends and #PitchWars mentees, and just a smidge of my French YA Contemp.
  3. WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW-Last night I hosted a writing group get-together chez-moi, and zut alors, it's so nice to be around other writers. We are all at different points in our creative journeys but we all have so much to learn, and big places to go. Thanks Neon Scribblers for a fun night of great ideas, helpful advice, and much needed kick in the A-word.
  4. WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO- I finally got to see what was behind the secret door I discovered in a renovated bar in Downtown Las Vegas several weeks ago. It's a whole long & totally amazing story that I am planning on blogging/columning about soon...but suffice it to say, there was:
  • a token passed across the bar with a name and a phone number engraved on it
  • a clandestine reservation was made
  • a request to meet in a dark hallway was accepted
  • an antechamber was entered
  • voices were quiet
  • cellphones prohibited
That is all. What's up with you?

Jessie,
With a Shot At The Night

26 comments:

  1. A secret door in a renovated bar? That's the tagline for a new novel right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. That chili and feta dip sounds yummy. I am so intrigued about that secret door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Elenor and Park! And I think I might love your secret door too. Sounds like a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read a scathing review of Eleanor & Park, which pointed out a lot of problematic language and racial stereotypes in the book so now I'm wary about reading it. But I'm adamant about forming my own opinions on things, so maybe I'll give it a shot anyway and see what happens since you and other writers I respect have enjoyed it :)

    That secret door sounds intriguing! Can't wait to hear that story. Also, writer get-togethers always sound so crazy fun! I've never been to one, but hopefully this year!

    "It's never a good sign when you eat the rest of the ice cream container just so to make room in the freezer for more fresh ice cream"

    Hahaha, I've done this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to take one for the team by eating the carton of ice cream, I'm more than up for volunteering when that happens in our house :) Good luck to you and your team during pitchwars!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude. You tease us like that with the secret door, and then don't even tell the story?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Banana pancakes? That definitely sounds like something I need to try--eating, not making. Those who can do, those who can't eat. :)

    E&P is on my TBR. Hopefully it'll be on my shelf soon. Too many people like it to be ignored.

    All the best with your writing this week, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh banana pancakes, they sound delicious! I've heard good things about Eleanor and Park. Sounds like you had quite an adventure! It all sounds very mysterious :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I envy your local writing friends. I know of one YA writer in my new town and I'm very much looking forward to meeting her, but it would be amazing to have a whole group of writly crazies to hang out with. I hope you continue to enjoy ELEANOR & PARK. I thought that book was absolutely charming. Have you read Rainbow Rowell's FANGIRL or ATTACHMENTS yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read Eleanor & Park! I loved Fangirl, so I'm sure I'll enjoy that, too. And I'm intrigued by that secret door! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have E&P and Fan Girl by Rainbow Rowell - I heard good things about both. Maybe I should give it a try.

    Yay for local writers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it that you say "zut alors"! I watch far too many French movies myself, so it's nice to know I'm not the only one with French swears. ;)

    Very curious about your secret door adventure. It sounds intriguing and possibly legal. (in some states)

    I haven't read Eleanor and Park yet, but I hear it's a must.

    Hope you have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're writing a book in French or it's set in France? Either way, that sounds fun! :D

    I miss having a writing group, but being able to host one sounds fantastic.

    Have a lovely week ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's set in France, not written in French. I'm not capable of writing much in French! I can speak well enough, but I could never write it very well.

      Delete
  14. What a fun blog theme.

    "hovering, like a round bootylicious UFO" You made my day with at one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love getting together with other writers in real life. It makes for such a great experience and it really inspires me to write.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bullets made me laugh out loud - brilliant!
    I loved Eleanor & Park it was one of my favourite books of last year.
    I'm totally intrigued by your adventure and secret door.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh. Being with other writers is so great. And you made THREE things? Wow. I'm lucky if I make three things in a month...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read Eleanor & Park yet, but there is a really great and revealing interview with Rainbow Rowell on a podcast called Narrative Breakdown with Scholastic editor Cheryl Klein. You can find it on iTunes or on the Narrative Breakdown website.

    I want to know more about The Secret Door!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lassie, I love the style of your What's Up Wednesday posts. You get your points across much more efficiently than my rambling posts! :) Your site is also gorgeously designed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved ELEANOR & PARK and can't wait to try out another Rainbow Rowell book. I hear FANGIRL is great as well. Your description of the happenings around this secret door are intriguing. Sounds like a story just waiting to happen! Good luck with all your mentoring work for Pitch Wars! I'm amazed at how much effort all of you have put into the contest! Have an awesome week and hope you join us again for WUW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is a one day unagented submission event going on at a publisher this month and I'm taking the plunge! *Hides* Wish me luck. Your writing world is real busy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that secret door in the bar sounds like a great adventure! I'll have to check back to find the whole story.

    My own WUW will be posted on the TOMORROW kind of Wednesday, on account of Insecure Writer's Support Group.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved Eleanor & Park. That secret door to the bar sounds really cool. I want to know more. Ha. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I still haven't read Eleanor & Park...I really need to get to it! I can't wait to hear your story about the door, that sounds so interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yikes! That sounds totally awesome. Now I MUST know what was behind the door. MUST. Lady, way to build the suspense!

    ReplyDelete