Friday, February 14, 2014

Finally Friday: Mr. Humphries for the Valentine's Day Win

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Friday, February 14, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (clean laundry, soft beds, four day weekends that involve the beach)
  • 1050      Calories Consumed Yesterday (after indulging in some pre-Valentines candy the day before, I stayed strong and ate Greek yogurt instead)
  • _3__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (watched Downton Abbey on DVR and had to have kettle of tea)
  • __0 hrs_ Spent Writing (tomorrow, tomorrow, there's always tomorrow...)
  • _0__ Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (FAIL)
It's hard to pull off a Valentine's Day win. There are so many ways to get it wrong:

  • receiving a huge bouquet of flowers that last two days max, and then reviewing the credit card bill a week later and discovering the HUGE cost...NOT my fave.
  • going out for dinner only to wait for a table for over an hour and then wait even longer for the food because the restaurant is slammed...NOT my fave.
  • getting a "coupon book" for massages (that really means touching = expectations = guilt = ultimately his present in disguise)...NOT my fave.
  • gross apple cider champagne...NOT my fave.
  • him forgetting to do anything, and last minute grabbing a 99 cent card from CVS with a cheesy old couple making sex jokes because the inventory is gone...NOT my fave.
I could go on and on--not that any of these things have ever happened to me. ;) BUT yesterday, Mr. Humphries pulled off a Valentines win: 

I had an appointment with the Children and Teen's Programming Director for Downtown Projects to talk about my book launch. We were meeting at the chic, hipster coffeehouse called The Beat at 9:00 am after my carpool round. Mr. Humphries knew how excited I was about this meeting and gave me a good luck kiss (and good luck slap on the butt) before I left--which was nice considering most mornings he steers clear of me because I'm a total B-word in the a.m.. 

When I get to The Beat I go to order a drink and the barista asks, "Are you Jessie?" 

"Uh...maybe," I say, not wanting to claim any responsibility for any faux-pas I may have committed--like driving a minivan Downtown where people ride bicycles and drive les Prius.  Meanwhile a pack of other baristas have accumulated behind her and are staring at me expectantly. 

"Well," the barista says, "if you are, then these are for you." She hands me a small bouquet of flowers. "And order anything you want...it's been taken care of."

My jaw drops and I melt. There are oohing and awing noises made by others in the cafe who have witnessed the event. Bravo, Mr. Humphries, bravo. 

And that is how it's done. 

Got any Valentines wins or losses?

Love,
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

6 comments:

  1. awww that's the sweetest! my husband set himself up for a lifetime of failure by totally overdoing it our first valentine's day (j crew sweater, flowers, homemade dinner and dessert, etc). and then acting like he didn't really believe in valentine's day for the next decade or so. that said, he did just send me a lovely j crew scarf to commemorate that first valentine's day (he's in russia so he's sort of off the hook this year anyway!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, so sweet! And I died laughing about the coupon book one...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! Way to go Christina! I love your guts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about a win, you go Mr. Humphries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was perfection! Bravo to Mr. Humphries.

    ReplyDelete