Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Greenhouse Literary Agency Writers Retreat Recap 2014

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014
  • __3__Gratitudes (home sweet home, cuddly kids, not being on an airplane again for awhile)
  •  1350     Calories Consumed Yesterday) (airplanes make me sick and I happened to be on one for seven hours yesterday)
  • __4__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (Diet Coke is free on airplanes!)
  • __4hrs     Spent Writing (again seven boring hours on a plane helped)
  • _0__Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (haven't been excelling in this category lately. I prefer hotel pastries delivered to my morning activities ;)
Greenhouse Literary Writer’s Retreat 2014

Consider the flowers watered!

The leaves have been energized by the Orlando sunshine. The soil has been enriched with inspiring words. The stems have been strengthened by the surrounding flowers. The roots are ready to grow.

Last year when I signed with my dream agent, Sarah Davies, I remember her telling me to prepare myself for revisions, submissions, and the rest of the journey I was about to embark upon. I could not imagine a more fitting place to do so than at the retreat this last weekend.

Approximately 50 Greenhouse authors from all over the world gathered at the Hilton near Downtown Disney in Florida for three days of jam-packed awesome. We ate, we learned, we socialized, we hot-tubbed, we ate again, we wrote, we shared our work, we absorbed words of wisdom from our agents and representatives, we stayed up to the wee hours, and we were even entertained by a talent show in which my agent sang and played the ukulele!

I am completely overwhelmed with appreciation for Sarah and her team for putting this event together. Here are but a few highlights:
  • Sarah Davies singing “Some of My Favorite Things” from Sound of Music—lyrics modified to reflect the publishing industry J
  • John Cusick playing piano and singing “The Piano Has Been Drinking” while sipping from a beautiful martini glass
  • Tommy Wallach singing an original song called “Madeline” wherein I fell in love with him. Afterward, I might have propositioned him in the lobby for offspring, but he politely declined. However, he did accept to write an original song for my book KILLING RUBY ROSE.
  • Hot-tubbing with my foreign rights agent, Allison Hellegers from Rights People. Not only is she now my favorite New York City mover-and-shaker, she is so kind and lovely.
  • Sitting next to Jill Hathaway, Kate Bassett, Allison DeCamp, Jeyn Roberts, and Rahul Kanakia at Bongo’s Cuban restaurant at Downtown Disney (those fried plantains were pretty good too)
  • Shooting the shiz until nearly 3 am almost every night in the hotel room with Lindsey Leavitt, Christian Heidicker, Valynne Maetani, and Erin Summerill.
  • Hanging out of couches, barstools, and other comfy chairs with Megan Miranda, Elle Cosimano, Ashley Elston, Natalie Parker, Brenna Yovanoff, Tessa Sharpe, Donna Cooner, Romily Bernard, Kat Yeh and Caroline Carlson.
  • Standing next to Courtney Alameda, because I look like a troll next to her Victoria Secret body. Yeah, loved that. ;) But fore realz, she is not only gorgeous, she is so sweet and kind. New bff’s?
I also had one of those aha moments that I just might get tattooed somewhere on my body. A quote from Sarah:

Live Life In Bright Colors
(t
(this I love it all more than I can express. We are all capable of doing big, bright things. Especially with the care and nurturing provided by our caretakers at the Greenhouse.
Thank you, Sarah, John, Jan, Polly, and Allison for one of the best professional moments of my life.

Love,
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

12 comments:

  1. Where was my hot-tub invite at, girl? Now, email me your book and I'll try to write you a song. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tommy, how hard do I love thee? Huge oversight in the hot tubbing invitation fail! My book is coming your way. And I gotta get you to vegas somehow!

      Delete
  2. How awesome! I think all that might make the seven hour flight worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing! I didn't know agencies did that kind of thing. I subbed my very first ms to Sarah many years ago and gosh I'm embarrassed by that. Not that she'd remember. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so awesome, Jessie. What a great experience to remember about your first year as a published author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried checking Tommy Wallach's blogs but neither are functioning/still up. Sounds like you had loads of fun Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how you forgot to mention how you were attacking me and yelling at my poor self whilst you wrote this post. ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny how you forgot to mention how you were attacking me and yelling at my poor self whilst you wrote this post. ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I eyed that hot tub but never made it in! Oh yes, the weekend (emphasis on the end, as Sarah would pronounce it) was amazing.

    ReplyDelete