Monday, February 24, 2014

LDStorymakers Writer's Conference Fashion Guide 2014

There are several ways to make your mark at big writing conference like Storymakers, such as the have-something-valuable-to-contribute approach, the ridiculously-good-looking approach, the cool-facial-hair approach. And then of course, there's always the "traditional" literary approach, wherein you set out to accomplish the long, arduous, and unrealistic tasks of:
  • writing an amazing book
  • landing a super-agent
  • selling said book to a big-time publisher for a ton of $$$
  • racking up the starred reviews
  • hitting all the best sellers lists
  • selling the film rights and making appearances on set to meet the actors
  • teaching a class about how you managed to do all this at a conference
  • gathering your fans round about you and bask in the glow of adoration and success
 #JamesDashner #MazeRunner


OR, you can skip all that nonsense and make your mark with FASHION!

Here are some ideas on how:
  • Go big or go home. Fire is very hot right now. Literally.
  • Fantasy fan? Show it! Got a pair of furry Hobbit feet? Wear 'em! Chicks dig it.
  • Sequins. Yessssss....
  • Matching couples ensembles are always a ahit. Find a friend and make sure to coordinate. Add a fun dance to really attract attention.
  • Two Words: Lady Gaga.

  • Personalized Tees (a la Price Is Right). What do smart people do to get noticed on the best morning game show in U.S. history? They make brightly colored tee-shirts meant to express their enthusiasm for the show:


Bonus Tip: If you're pitching to an agent, (Josh Adams perhaps?) consider re-creating the below graphic. But bedazzle it up with neon, puff paint, and embroidered sequins around the caption, "JOSH ADAMS IS MY HOMEBOY"--  in all CAPS!

Of course these are only a few of my most awesome ideas, but please, feel free to let your creativity and brilliance in fashion shine. You will be the talk of the conference.

You're welcome.

P.S. For further conference advice, check out the following links:

How To Choose Classes:
How To Pitch to Agents/Editors:

Love,
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

19 comments:

  1. You are SO funny. Wondering if your character in your book has some of your humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the Price is Right....such great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already bedazzling my white washed jean jacket in preparation for the conference. Do you want me to make you one too? WE CAN BE TWINS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up, Jessie!

    P.S. I'm totally going in Hobbit feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bah ha ha ha ha! This is hilarious. I'm totally going matchy matchy with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know exactly what I've been doing wrong. Watch out, here I come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, I was reading through those first bullet points thinking, "Aka The Dashner Approach," and then I saw the picture. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AM pitching to Adams and I ALREADY have my Josh Adam's look-a-like outfit ready. It's based on his pic on his website. That's cool, right? Should I cut my hair, too? I'm so nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sound like you really did go to LTUE and got some fashion ideas there, haha. A Josh Adam's tee is brilly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. So hilarious! I need to invest in some sequins...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did sequins last year. This year I want to go twinsies too! Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  12. All these years I've been doing it wrong! Now that I know the key to *real* success, nothing will stop me (except, maybe, my abysmal fashion sense . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha!!!! So true. Do you go to SCBWI conferences? Last year Jay Asher walked around dressed in a full-body spandex checker suit... I always love the themes they come up with. Conferences ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! This was not what I expected when I clicked. Love it! Fun times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! I especially like the one about matching couple ensembles. I've never had much fashion sense, though, because I feel most comfortable in jeans and a sweatshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh hot dang! wish there was a combo outfit that would just bedazzle the bejezus out of all that electrifying fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessie, have I told you lately that I love you? Because I do. :)

    ReplyDelete