Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday Quickie: Putting Yourself Out There

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It. 

Thursday, February 13, 2014
  • __3 Gratitudes (friends that have fun birthday lunches, people who answer emails promptly, Valentine's Day candy)
  • 1700 Calories Consumed Yesterday (sadly, most of these calories were consumed late at night while I tried to catch up and got snacky)
  • __4__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (favorite was a blended herbal tea that had peppermint, lemon, and raspberry that's supposedly good for my girl parts)
  • _ 3 hrs Spent Writing (too bad they were all carefully drafted emails...)
  • _1__   Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (fresh homemade bread french toast. No, I didn't bake the bread. Yes, I did fry the french toast.)
Thursday Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING (or otherwise publication related) TIP. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be singing, "Shawty wanna hump. You know I like to touch your lovely lady lumps"--um yeah, that's Lil John for ya:

Today's quickie: Make efforts to meet and befriend other writers.

I know it's a risk to put yourself out there. Believe me, I've been burned more than once by getting involved with writers who turned out to be crazy-pants. From early beta readers to roommates at conferences, there is always the possibility that you will want to kick each other in the crotch before you part ways. And yet, this is how we can grow the most in our pursuits as writers. Friendship and feedback are so necessary to our success, we just can't do it alone. So the next time someone asks you to meet up at a bookstore to write together, or attend a book event, or otherwise get together...say YES! What's the worst that can happen? (They can stalk you and go around telling everyone how YOU are the crazy one--yes that has happened to me). But then, what's the best? (You end up being life long friends and they help you get the book deals you've always dreamed of--yes that's happened to me too). 

And if I hadn't decided to go to my agency's retreat this last weekend, I would have missed out on the opportunity to meet and befriend nearly 60 influential authors who I adore. Talk about a chance of a lifetime. 

Have you had any scary writer-stalker stories? Or happily-ever-after writer-friend stories?

Love, 
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know any other writers until I started my blog. My books have led me on such an amazing journey, and now I know thousands of other writers and authors, many of whom are good friends. And through the IWSG, so many others connect, which is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still CPs with a group of ladies I met at my very first writers' conference. No crazy stalker writer friends yet. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete