Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (sunshine, stretchy pants, and chocolate covered cinnamon bears)
  • 1450     Calories Consumed Yesterday (starting the day off with 1.5 Kristy Kreme donuts is not the right way to start the day, but coming back from out of town to an avalanche of mail, responsibilities, and an empty fridge syndrome is also not the right way to start the week)
  • __3__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (Mommy needs a Big Gulp)
  • __1.5 hrs   Spent Writing (this was a miracle considering the avalanche mentioned above )
  • _1__Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (I felt like Jack Black in Nacho Libre making soup for all the orphans with "no fresh ingredients" wherein they whine about having "diarrhea since Easters")
Today, I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday- a weekly writing meme to stay in touch.



WHAT I'M READING- An ARC of THE PROMISE OF AMAZING by Robin Constantine. It's living up to the promise :) 

WHAT I'M WRITING-
After a much needed kick-in-the-pants, provided by John Cusicks’ inspiring speech at the Greenhouse Literary Agency Writers Retreat this last weekend (read all about it here), wherein he stressed the schedule of writing and making it a priority, I’ve started writing again. For many weeks I’ve been focusing so much on revisions, cover art, marketing, book launch promo, critiquing for friends, building my social media platform, blogging, travel plans, and other totally legit writerly things that I fully stopped writing new words. My NaNo project has been lingering in 80% finished mode since November, begging me to come back. Well, I’m back. I’ve returned to my French contemporary world and I’m tres contente for that.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW-
  • Other authors. Whether old or new, jaded or bright-eyed, there’s some gem to glean from each one. In the last week, I’ve met nearly 60! Most from my agency’s retreat, but I also got to meet up with a bunch of authors from the debut group that I am a part of called The One Fours.
WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO-
Just got back from Orlando on Monday and will be leaving for Utah tomorrow for another author event: The LTUE Writers Conference (Life, The Universe, and Everything) which is a fabulous conference full panels, classes, and general schmoozinness. It’s inexpensive, educational, and fun! And maybe a bit stinky because of narrow hallways and a large  population sword-yielding fantasy warriors…but whatev. There will be no laying out pool-side in Provo, but maybe some fireplace writing time.


What's up with you?

Love,
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, the nerd factor of LTUE freaked me out the first year I went, lol. I'll be there this weekend...look for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to get so caught up in being a writer that you don't have time to write! Writing conferences sound so much fun, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get back into the habit of making writing a priority - I really haven't been doing much of it lately. I'm just starting to get back into it, though. Good luck with yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of the LTUE retreat. Awesome! I think you raise a good point about always making sure to write new words. It's so easy to get bogged down by all the other legit writer stuff that you set that part of it aside. But that just makes it hard to get back to when you decide you want to draft again. I think that's why I've always found myself drafting one project while revising another. It's tough to switch gears, but a good practice I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya

    I agree with being caught up with doing everything but writing. I have been like that but I got back to writing too :) Not as much as I hoped but its a start.

    Have fun on your trip.

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a great reminder. There are so many other aspects to the process than getting those initial words down on the page (even more if you're about to be published!) and it's easy to let those things overshadow creativity. I'm just starting a round of revisions, and I don't do well with working on simultaneous projects, but I'm thinking I need to devote some regular time to drafting something else too. Glad you enjoyed your agency's writing retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The retreat sounds great. John Cusick is a really impressive person. He's an editor for a lit mag, a literary agent, and an author -- he must be really great with scheduling. I'm glad you're back to writing! French contemporaries sound amazing in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine with so much activity going on around the soon-to-be-published novel, it's hard to find time for writing something new. Well done for making that time, Jessie. I hope the LTUE retreat helps kindle your passion for new words even more!

    Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete