Friday, March 28, 2014

Finally Friday: The Best Things About My Impending Debut Book Release

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Friday, March 28, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (trips to Cali, getting ready for trips to Cali, leaving the piles of laundry behind in Vegas)
  • _2__ Units of Caffeinated Beverages (adrenaline took over the rest of the needed energy supply of the day)
  • __90 min_ Spent Writing (I'm getting really good at the art of writing really brief emails)
  • _1__ Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (garden salad with fresh cucumbers, assorted bell peppers and vine-tomatoes...watch out Gwyneth Paltrow, I'm humble bragging my gluten-free cooking skills to one-up you!)
So as the release day for my debut book, KILLING RUBY ROSE, draws nearer, everyone keeps asking me the same question, "Aren't you so excited?"

Seriously, my neighbors, my hair stylist, the lady at the drugstore up the street who I like to chat with about eyeliner...they all want to know how excited I am. And though there's no way to hide how bright my eyes get when they ask, or the flush in my cheeks when I consider how cool it really is, the thing is: It feels weird on so many levels because getting a book published has been so long in the making. It's hard to believe that it's really happening.

So if you really want to know how excited I am, it's something like this:


OR THIS:




And because I'm obsessed with bullet points...

Top Five Bullets On Why This Time Leading Up To The Launch of My Book Has Been So KILLER! (That title needs some work):

  • Unforeseen Rewards. I woke up to a special present on my doorstep today. My publisher sent me a Kindle Fire HD in honor of my debut book with them. Thanks Courtney, Erick, and my team at Amazon Children's Publishing/Skyscape. I seriously adore working with you! You have "delivered me happiness."

  • Planning an epic book launch party. I think I'm putting more effort into this book launch than I ever did for my graduation from law school, my wedding reception, or even my baby showers. But it has been so fun to collaborate with so many talented, creative, and generous people. From my Book Launch Committee, to all the people at Downtown Projects, to the Clark County School District, I pretty much owe everyone free ice cream for life! Beyond the actual joy I will have at seeing it all come together on May 2 at the Container Park, this creative time of planning and dreaming is life-changing. It's like life is so much more colorful when you live your dreams.
  • Being involved with the filming of the book trailer. Working with the likes of a pro like J.J. Huckin, and observing his brilliance is so thrilling, I can't even sleep when I think of how cool it all is. 
  • Connecting with readers. Although my book hasn't officially released, many people have been able to read advanced copies for reviews. Their feedback is why I started writing in the first place. It's like this massive affirmation: YOU DIDN'T DO ALL THIS FOR NOTHING. Also, I've started school visits to promote the writing contest connected to my book launch, and getting in front of those bright-eyed kids is an experience like no other. Next week I have five school visits scheduled, in front of thousands of students--I have a feeling that it's going to be the time of my life.
There's so much more. So many reasons why this book launch build-up is just so absolutely killer. But I'll stop there. Cuz' I gotta get in the car and drive to Southern California for some more awesome.

Have a great weekend.

Love, 
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

4 comments:

  1. Dude, you are the blogging queen these days! And the queen of book launch parties and writing and everything else in life! I just have to give you props because you are amazing! So excited to get my hands on your book! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are good times. We're cheering you on Jessie! Enjoy your CA weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are on a roll Jessie. All I can say is congrats and enjoy your new kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think connecting with readers would be the best part :)

    ReplyDelete