Thursday, March 13, 2014

Thursday Quickie: Be Authentic

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It. 

Thursday, March 13, 2014
  • __3 Gratitudes (hats when my hair sucks, closed-toed Toms when my pedicure sucks, and baggy shirts when my diet is sucking real bad...in other words, I'm a mess...)
  • __5__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (my mother would be so disappointed in me)
  • _ 0 hrs Spent Writing (pfshhh...writing schmiting)
  • _1__   Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (I made a brown rice, lentil, and left-over rotisserie chicken scrap meal...yeah, it sounds about as good as it tasted. Like I said, I'm a mess...)
Thursday Quickie

This is where I  post a QUICK WRITING (or otherwise publication related) TIP. Whether it be technical or creative, useful or not, I'm gonna give it to you! You're gonna be fantasizing cougar-style about those cute One Direction boys and wishing you weren't a washed up, middle aged mess...oh wait, that's me:

Anyway...here's the tip: 

Be Authentic

Definition of Authentic: "real or genuine : not copied or false. : true and accurate."

As a writer, you must develop a good sense of who you are, who you want to be, and how you are perceived by others. In a way, this will become your brand.

Are you:

  • the sweet and quiet one with a twinkle in your eye and heartfelt story to share
  • the quirky one full of spunk and flare
  • the dark and brooding soul full of literary voice
  • the trendsetter who knows what's hot and what's not
  • the big personality who can entertain the whole room
  • the nerd who embraces the fantasy wonder and sci-fi brilliance
  • or the B-word whose favorite B-word is "beach" and snarks about pretty much everything
Obviously, there are a million variations of descriptions that could suit you, but the important thing is to find the one that is best for you. The one that people will easily identify and enjoy. This way you can develop loyalty with your audience. They will generally know what to expect from you (not that surprises aren't welcome) and will seek you out. And don't worry, this doesn't have to be a life-long commitment, you are free to adapt and change. And don't try to be someone you're not--be yourself, but the best and most marketable version of yourself. Just like a major product manufacturer, like Coke for example, get yourself a slogan, a look, a style, and an authentic voice. After all this is a business! The pub business.

So give it to me! How would you describe your authentic brand?

Love, 
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

2 comments:

  1. Quiet Nerd with loud writing voice. Loves fantasy and poetry. These are some great tips Jessie. Being fake hurts you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my brand would be my screenname; that is, I really am a neurotic workaholic, and I really do obsess over everything.

    ReplyDelete