Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (March Madness, just-out-of-the-dryer bedsheets, busy days) 1 Grumble (Daylight Savings...you are a B-word!)
  • __2.5__ Units of Caffeinated (the .5 is the Coke Zero I thought I needed but what I really needed was to shower and get out of my sweaty clothes at 5:00 pm and make it to my three night appointments. "Need" is a relative term.)
  • __1 hr  Spent Writing (though I was interrupted with texts, emails and messages the whole time, so it counts for nothing really)
  • __0__  Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (unless offering a stolen & bruised banana that I got from yesterday's buffet to children is considered a disaster...)
Today, I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday- a weekly writing meme to stay in touch.



WHAT I'M READING-Just finished CRUEL BEAUTY by Rosamund Hodge. What a beautiful and rich fairy tale retelling. Seriously, no wonder this book has like a billionty awesome reviews.

WHAT I'M WRITING- Trying to add a new character to my French book (contemporary romance set in France) for some added texture and dynamics. It's requiring more work than I realized, but is also very fun to concentrate on a secondary character like this in such detail.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW-
  • Surprise successes. I was watching a vlog interview with Zappos.com CEO, Tony Hsieh, and something he said hit me. He was talking about ideas and serendipity, and how some ideas work out and some don't but it's important to keep the ideas going and you might be surprised which ones work out. I've been surprised at how many of my crazy ideas are working out lately.
WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO-
  • Went dancing at a fancy Las Vegas club called Hakasan where it costs $50+ to get it in and $9.00 for a 6 ounce bottle of water, but we got in VIP (free) because my fancy friend, Erin Summerill, is a famous photographer and has the hook ups. Never mind that I woke up with gashes on my wrist (thanks to a friend's cat dance moves), a bruise on my ankle (thanks to another friend's attempt to do Kid-In-Play foot dance with me), and an aching in my lower back (thanks to my old and decrepit body). The best part was when a dude came up from behind me to get all grindy, and I said no thank you, but when he went to leave, he couldn't because my lace shirt had somehow attached to his belt buckle and we were literally attached in the most awkward of positions. So when I said "best part," I really meant "worst part." Yeah, Mr. Humphries didn't like that story either!
  • I think I should probably just stop there...

What's up with you?

Love,
Jessie With A (So Close I Can Taste It) Shot At The Night

17 comments:

  1. So glad you liked Cruel Beauty. And awesome you're working on a new project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Didn't someone get that on their video phone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice point about the ideas. Sometimes I feel like my ideas are too varied and many to amount to much. It can be tough to focus when you're an ideas person. Seeing one thing through to the end feels like an accomplishment.

    I would love to go to a Vegas club with some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jessie! That dance club story is embarrassing but hilarious, too! It sounds like something you need to put in one of your books some day if you can work it in!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  5. The BEST part, and my most favorite part, was McGrindy and his aggressive belt buckle...and then how we were creaking around the next day like old biddies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and that Summerill girl are always getting into some kind of sparkly mischief. Sounds like one dangerous night! I'm excited to hear more about your French story. It's sounding muy bueno (yes, spanish because I don't know French - but you get it right?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read CRUEL BEAUTY. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, that does sound like super fancy party. Maybe the experience will inspire a good book ;)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow. That club story is really kind of funny. Especially the belt buckle. Eek. I like what you shared about ideas and serendipity. It's so, so true. I think a lot of us can relate to that very thing.

    You've totally reminded me that I need to read CRUEL BEAUTY still, so I just ordered a copy. Can't wait! I've heard only awesome things about it. Good luck this week with your writing. It sounds like some fun things are happening in this story. Also, the fact that it's in France just makes it even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's very true about ideas. Your club story is very funny. I could see it in a book one day. Ha. Good luck with your French book. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and Erin living it up at a Vegas club...sounds like the start of a great book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to know what's going on with you Jess! You are totally superwoman and I miss you! So excited about your new cover and all the awesomeness coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's true that about keeping the ideas coming. I've heard that Stevie Wonder writes a song every day (or at least he used to). You know not every one of those songs is going to be something worth recording, but out of 7 songs a week, something good's bound to come out.

    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bahahaha! I wish I could've been there for the awkward attachment dancing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha! Great club story. I hope you're well, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great club story. I feel so old, I haven't been clubbing in years. Also, I just noticed your book cover over on the side. I'm not sure when you first announced it, but this is the first time I've noticed it. And I LOVE it. Can't wait until May when I can read it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh geez, that club story is awkward but so funny! That sounds like something right out of a comedy. Glad to hear so many of your crazy ideas are working out lately. I think the world needs more crazy ideas!

    ReplyDelete