Monday, April 14, 2014
- __3__ Gratitudes (spooning, cuddling, and canoodling...I'll leave it at that)
- __4__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (revisions due...high alert...must have energy...robot replenishment)
- __8 hrs Spent Writing (like I said, revisions on Book #2 due!!!!!)
- _1__ Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (microwaved chicken fingers...sad but true)
I can't even explain the gratification and fulfillment I've received from interacting with the youth in the community. After every presentation, there was ALWAYS at least one student (if not a crowd) who would come up to me with stars in their eyes, hoping that they could write a story that meant something. It makes me want to cry, laugh, and rejoice that I might have had a positive effect on these kids' lives. What an experience!
Plus, I've upped the ante: the top winner not only wins 1- a laptop for themselves; 2- a laptop for the teacher they nominate in their submission; but I'm throwing in another killer prize:
A KILLING RUBY ROSE-designed guitar signed by members of the Vegas band, The Killers!
So, if any of you readers out there in the internets ;) are high schoolers or have high school-aged children in the Clark County School District, please encourage them to write a first page of a story, (only 250 words), and submit it to Judy Myers via the CCSD Partnership Program at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The official rules/instructions are as follows:
One Page Storytelling Writing Contest
Sponsored by Jessie Humphries, author of Killing Ruby Rose
and Downtown Projects
Theme: “Killer Storytelling”
Use your imagination to write the first page of whatever you deem to be a “killer” (i.e. a cool, awesome, impressive) story.
The contest is designed to encourage 9th – 12th grade students to submit the first page of a story that will grab a reader’s interest--to create a hook, a sense of intrigue, and a reason for the reader to want more. Students are expected to write, revise, and revise some more on this one-page/250 words maximum contest.
· Open to all students in grades 9-12
· Any genre or theme (fantasy, sci-fi, romance, mystery, etc.)
· Maximum of 250 original words
· Inappropriate language or gratuitous violence is grounds for disqualification.
· Send your 250 word first page of a story to:
School-Community Partnership Program #0145
c/o Western High School
4601 W. Bonanza Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89107
E-Mail (attached word document)
· Make sure to include your name, high school, email address, and a nomination for a teacher-mentor who helped you with your submission
· Submissions are due no later than midnight on April 22, 2014
· The Top 10 Finalists will be announced at the Killing Ruby Rose book launch at the Container Park Downtown, Friday May 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm (attendance is not mandatory to win), and receive a Ruby Rose themed gift basket with an autographed copy of Killing Ruby Rose and other killer gifts
· Top 10 Finalists and two guests also gain entrance to the private Killer Storytelling Concert Benefit at the Inspire News Café Theater Downtown on Saturday May 3, 2014 at 6:00 pm (attendance not necessary to win) and a printed copy of the “Killer Storytelling Anthology” containing all entries
· From among the finalists, one winning student (announced the evening of the concert) and their nominated teacher-mentor will each receive a laptop computer
· Two runners-up will receive a Kindle Paperwhite
***For more information on the Writing Contest and Killing Ruby Rose Book Launch events, please visit http://www.jessiehumphries.com
Jessie With A Shot At the Night