Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Big News (No April's Fools Tricks, I Swear)

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014
  • Ain't nobody got no time for bullets today!
It's Time To Finally Reveal My Big News: 

KILLING RUBY ROSE is a Kindle First Pick! 
Which means:

  • You can read it early right now via the Kindle First Program for FREE (if you're an Amazon Prime Member) OR $1.99 if you're not.
  • My book was selected to be featured as an editors pick to millions of voracious Amazon readers 
  • That it's available in e-book only during the month of April
  • May 1st is still the official release date for paperback, audiobook, and audible book.
  • Pre-order is still available for paperback HERE 


More about Kindle First:
  • Kindle First is a program that offers customers early access to new Kindle books across popular genres from Amazon Publishing.
  • Prime members are automatically eligible for Kindle First.
  • Every month Prime members can enjoy one of the four books selected by Amazon Publishing editors for free.
  • Kindle First books can be read on any Kindle device or free Kindle reading app and become part of customers’ permanent libraries.
  • Prime members can sign up to receive a monthly e-mail announcing new Kindle First picks.

It is a such an honor to be one of four picks chosen for this program, and I am so thrilled to be a part of this groundbreaking approach to selling books and reaching readers. Huge thanks (and a celebratory chest bump) to my editor, Courtney Miller, who I adore for her zealous advocacy on Ruby Rose's behalf. And a thousand awkward hugs to the rest of my team at Skyscape/Amazon Children's Publishing for all their support and hard work (you better believe you'll get those aforementioned chest bumps and awkward hugs when you come to Vegas for the big launch party!)

And one of the best parts is that I stayed up until midnight to see Ruby go live, and found another reason to celebrate like it's 1999--what my editor had to say about Ruby Rose on the Kindle First page:


"There was a moment in the first season of Veronica Mars when I realized something important about the title character, something that turned me from an idle viewer into an obsessed nerd-girl fan. I suddenly grasped that there’s nothing special about Veronica, yet she’s extraordinary. Veronica is totally on her own: she doesn’t have Buffy’s Slayer skills, Clary’s Shadowhunter powers, or even Katniss’s talent with the bow. There’s something entrancing about figures like Veronica. They’re as human and as vulnerable as all of us, but they manage to get themselves into (and out of) superhuman situations with wits and luck alone.

Given my affinity for this type of character, it’s no surprise that I’m thoroughly excited about Killing Ruby Rose, the debut novel by Jessie Humphries. There’s nothing particularly exceptional about Ruby Rose: she’s a privileged seventeen-year-old who has the very unfortunate but very human experience of losing a parent. What is unique about Ruby, however, is her sharp-as-a-stiletto wit and her inimitable thirst for justice. And what keeps the pages turning is that Ruby doesn’t go about anything in the way you’d expect. Sure, she’s a teenage girl who loves Prada, but she also loves her .38 Smith & Wesson. She hates injustice as much as anybody, but she doesn’t fight it by holding fundraisers or attending protests. Ruby’s style is a bit more down-and-dirty vigilante bravura mixed with a quiet, unflinching confidence in herself.

As a writer, Jessie gives the reader a delectable indulgence: a heroine who is vulnerable and imperfect, but also surprising and unquantifiable. Jessie balances the real and the impossible in a way that maximizes my ability to escape into Ruby’s version of sunny SoCal. Since, as a humble editor, I don’t have the skills or dynamism to fight serial killers, there’s nothing more I can ask for than a good book that takes me into a world where the hero does exactly that."

Now please excuse me while I go cry tears of joy, relief, elation, and gratitude.

After years of hard work and daring to dream, months of choking down the butterflies in consideration of this day, weeks of suppressing the chills at the thought of this moment, days of nervous anticipation of letting RUBY go, hours of breathless waiting, minutes of hope, seconds of calm...

RUBY ROSE is now yours:

BUY/DOWNLOAD HERE



Love, 
Jessie With A Shot At The Night

26 comments:

  1. Great non-April fools post. Killing Ruby Rose is now on my kindle. WOO-HOO!!!!! I knew that prime membership was totally worth it:)

    Congrats on being selected for Kindle First!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome!!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO HUGE!!!! I'm so thrilled for you in so many ways!! That blurb from your editor is so very awesome. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got it! Now I need to clear my day so I can enjoy your talents! Je t'aime!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm feeling a little emotional! So happy for you and your awesome book! Can't wait to see you and congratulate you in person. Congrats, Jessie and Ruby!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I can't wait to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!!!!

    This is amazing and awesome and so well deserved.

    *flailing arms*

    YAY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So exciting! And what wonderful words from your editor! Congratulations, Jessie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a stunning review. I am so thrilled for you today, Jessie! I am sending hugs while simultaneously downloading your book and clearing my schedule. No clean dishes today, kiddos, Mama's got to read! Congratulations Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hoo! I got it!! Congratulations!! What an amazing shout out from your editor. I'm glowing for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh! *flails* Congrats on your awesome news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Commence flailing. So thrilled for you my pub sister!!!!!! Now I have preordered the paperback so I can get your autograph AND have it on Kindle. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This just made my day. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It just so happens I'm an Amazon Prime Member... and it just so happens I just "bought" your book! :D Hugely huge mega congratulations, Jessie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's HUGE news! I love what your editor had to say about your book, and I hope you receive lots more awesome praise like that! Congratulations, Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, Jessie! What an incredible testimonial from your editor. If I were you, I'd start everyday reading it. I can't wait to meet Ruby Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the cover. That editor's blurb is to die for. Can't wait to start reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's fantastic! Huge congrats! Going to get my copy now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW. What a recommendation/blurb! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's about the best blurb from a editor I've ever heard! Sweetness :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!!! Great news! What an amazing opportunity. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are amazing and totally deserve this! I'm so excited for you! Huge congrats and a hug that's not awkward to go with it! :)

    ReplyDelete