Monday, July 14, 2014

Killer Monday: A Killer Story

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Monday, July 14, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (mountain air, tinfoil dinners, chocolate covered-cinamon bears)
  • __3__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (new fave: two parts Coke Zero-one part Diet Dr. Pepper)
  • __8 hrs  Spent Writing (THIS NEVER HAPPENS!)
  • _1__  Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (writing food: feta, tomato, & green onion dip on baguettes)

Every year my family goes on vacation to Eastern Idaho at the base of the Teton mountains. We love the Grand Teton mountain range so much that my dad named his labrador retriever "Teton." Not a totally weird name, right? 

Wrong.

Fast forward a few years to when I just moved to France. One lovely evening in a town called Tours, I was walking down the street and saw a beautiful black lab. I stopped the owner and asked if I could pet his dog. 
"Bien sur," he says. (Of course)
So I pet the dog and continue to make small talk with the owner. I tell him about the black lab my family has at home. He asks what his name is. 
"Teton," I say. 
Something along the lines of a gasp and a tisking sound escapes his mouth.
"Non, tu blague," he says, thinking I'm joking. 
I blink innocently, totally not joking. 
He switches to English. "You realize that you named your dog 'nipple' right?"

No, sir. No I did not. 

And that is why I love the Tetons even more than I did before!

You're welcome. 

Love, 
Jessie T. Humphries

3 comments:

  1. Yup. Those French explorers must have been traveling for quite awhile without female company when they came upon the Tetons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! I grew up with those beautiful mountains on the distant horizon. :)

    ReplyDelete