Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (enthusiastic reviews, making cupcakes with kidlets, binge watching Homeland)
  • __2__ Units of Caffeinated Beverages (had to put a tear in a root beer after USA losing yesterday in the World Cup)
  •    2    Hours of Writing (somehow between paying bills, organizing my desk, doing laundry, etc. I managed to write some words)
  • __2  Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (eggs & bacon for breakfast, and TCT's--Toasted Cheese Tortillas--for dinner. Nothing fancy, but yummy.)
Today, I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday- a weekly writing meme to stay in touch.



WHAT I'M READING- 
  • FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell. I got it for FREE at ALA this last weekend (along with ELEANOR & PARK). I've only been able to read a bit of it so far, but I think it's right up my alley. In fact, I might even be able to use it as a comp to the book I'm hoping to sell by the end of the year. 


WHAT I'M WRITING- 
  • The "five part finale" of my French book. This is a fairly formulaic approach to writing (from SAVE THE CAT book 1 &2) but it REALLY HELPS! Because I've been seriously stuck on what to do. At least now I have some help working it out. 

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW-
  • People who are willing to offer opportunities. Lately, I've been approached by so many people wanting to help me, get involved, present possibilities, etc. From writing friends, to professional acquaintances, to media producers, to my publishing team...so much generosity. I'm blown away by human kindness.

WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO-
  • This last weekend I attended the ALA (American Library Association) Convention in my home city of Las Vegas. It was so much fun to walk the floor and see my book, KILLING RUBY ROSE, being promoted to book buyers/librarians. Hanging out with my fellow authors and meeting great people in the publication/book industry was also a meaningful experience. I got to meet Laini Taylor, Becca Fitzpatrick, Jessica Love, and many more amazing people. For pics, see my Monday post HERE.
  • One of my life long dreams came true last week! I was interviewed on NPR! I freaking love NPR. The interview hasn't aired yet, but rest assured I will let everyone know when it does. The host asked me about the infamous Slate article written last month wherein young adult books were lambasted for "corrupting true literature." I think I had a fairly articulate answer...somewhere along the lines of, "Whoever said that is dumb!"  Just kidding. I actually have no idea what I said. I guess we shall see...

What's up with you?

Love,
Jessie 

12 comments:

  1. NPR...so cool! I can't wait to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You went to ALA so jealous, I'm glad you had fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to check out SAVE THE CAT already. So many people love it, and I'm overdue for another craft book. Awesome about the NPR interview! And seriously, if you had *actually* said "Whoever said that is dumb!" I would have gone full slow-clap with a "Preach it, sister." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you had a great time at ALA ^_^ Good luck with your writing this week :D And congrats on the NPR interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got Fangirl a couple of weeks ago - I haven't read it yet, but I have read Eleanor and Park, which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool, Jessie! NPR interview, meeting authors, reading bodacious books--AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the second SAVE THE CAT book. Maybe I should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. NPR! Wow. Sounds like you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for ALA! I'm so jealous of all the amazing book cons the US has - I've made it my life mission to get me to BEA or ALA one of these days.

    Sounds like you've had an amazing week, here's hoping the next is just as lovely :)

    - Caitie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been up to all sorts of great things! Congrats on the interview! That is SO COOL! And ALA looked like so much fun. Loved seeing everyone's pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome about your interview! Glad to hear the ending of your WIP is starting to feel unstuck. Hope that means you have a great writing week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool you went to ALA and got interviewed by NPR. Wow! How did the NPR interview happen? That's an awesome help to your book promotion. So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete