Monday, August 18, 2014

Killer Monday: PitchWars Writing Contest

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Monday, August 18, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (new vacuums with extra sucking power, tepanyaki, kids going back to school in 1 week)
  • __2__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (anything with ice and fresh lime in it is my favorite)
  • __0 hrs  Spent Writing (I'm beta reading my butt off)
  • _1__  Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (Famous Retreat Dip: tomato + green onion + feta + olive oil + Greek seasoning=happiness.)

So there's this really amazing opportunity for you writers out there. So listen up cuz' here's the down-low:

It's called PitchWars, hosted by the amazing Brenda Drake. It’s a contest where published/agented authors, editors, or interns choose one writer each, read their entire manuscript, and offer suggestions on how to make the manuscript shine. The mentor also critiques his/her writer’s pitch to get it ready for the agent round. To do this, the mentors read all their applications and choose the writer they want to mentor for two months to get them ready for the agent round. Writers can pick up to four mentors to submit to. I participated as a mentor last year, and guess what? 

That's right: my mentee landed an agent with the manuscript we worked on together!

For a list of the amazing mentors and submission guidelines go here. For a list of the stellar agents this year, go here.
And guess what again? I'm a:



What I’m looking for in the contest…

Young Adult. I've only had to endure about one million revisions on RUBY ROSE (from critique partners, to beta readers, to agents, to acquiring editors, to developmental editors, etc.) so I'm a bit of an expert on which kinds of critiques help and which kinds help not-so-much. I've always believed that in order to deserve the help of others, I must be generous in giving back whatever help I have to offer. I will take my job as a mentor seriously and make sure to include helpful advice--not just tell you what I think you want to hear. Perhaps the number one thing that helps me in critiques is when the critiquer not only points out a problem, but offers solutions and examples as to how to solve the problem.

I love protagonists with sass, cleverness, and an ability to make me smile with their ingenuity. I like surprises, twists, high-stakes, and above all...kissing! Or the almost-kiss, which can sometimes be way better. I dig contemporary, fantasy, historical (if there's kissing), thrillers, maybe a dash of horror, post-apocalyptic, and anything with a beach scene (even if it's sci-fi). I sort of love the dark stuff, but not too dark--I already have issues, I don't need any more. A few zombie slayings are however welcome.

So check it all out and submit your pitch here HERE. THE DEADLINE IS TONIGHT (August 18th at 11:59 EST).

Love,
Jessie

1 comment:

  1. next year when my new MS is all done, I'm so hitting you up!

    ReplyDelete