Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (California humidity, Starbucks cake pops, sleeping in)
  • __1__ Units of Caffeinated Beverages (hmmm, how did that happen?!)
  • __0__ Hours of Writing (shopping for back to school takes precedence)
  • __1  Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (steak, brats, corn on cob on the grill, fresh green beans...all warmed up from the night before. Haha, I didn't actually make any of it, but I warmed it up pretty good :)
Today, I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday- a weekly writing meme to stay in touch.



WHAT I'M READING- 
  • Beta-reading for a friend. 
  • But I just bought my girl, Lori Lee's new book that just came out: GATES OF THREAD AND STONE. You should all go buy it right. this. second!


WHAT I'M WRITING- 
  • Since I'm waiting to hear back from beta readers, I'm not really writing. I'm thinking though. And learning--lots of that. 

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW-
  • Writers! I went to SCBWI in L.A. this last weekend and had an experience much like Baby from Dirty Dancing: I had the time of my life. Here are some fairly terrible pictures with poor lighting and even worse focus:

SCBWI Pool Party Dance floor selfie

 The well-thought-out, super-Pinteresty, awesome party invitations from
 Jessica Love and Dana Elmendorf

 The hot-bodied Morgan Shamy

 Allie Brennan, Melanie Jacobsen, and Jolen Perry on the dance floor

The Gorgeous Sophia Chang (though you can't see her gorgeous face very well)



WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO-

Other than:
  • taking classes about characterization from Maggie Stievater, 
  • hanging out with my agent (Sarah Davies) and agency sisters (Lindsey Leavitt, Kat Yeh, Catherine Linka, Jennie Moyer, and the oh-so-fabulous Martha Brockenborough)
  • getting all kinds of inspired from Judy Blume and Tomie dePaola
  • getting so crazy on the dance floor that I freaked at least six female colleages and accidentally hit Jay Asher in the junk
I also:
  • Beach time
  • Shopping time
  • Sleepy time
  • 31 Flavors time
That is all.

What's up with you?

Love,
Jessie 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great week :D Hope your beta readers get back to you soon with lots of encouragement. And thanks for reminding me about Gates of Thread and Stone. I've been meaning to pick that up ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the conference was awesome. And very excited for the release of Lori's book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The conference sounds awesome! I picked up GATES OF THREAD AND STONE and I'm loving it so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy people on the dance floor are the best. Go you. (but poor Jay Asher, ouch) Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. The conference sounds amazing! They do dance floors at those too? Wow. GATES OF THREAD AND STONE looks fantastic. Going on my TBR list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You accidentally hit Jay Asher in the junk- LOL.
    The conference sounds amazing! One of these days I'll get myself to one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I've got to ask: as he grimaced, with tears in his eyes, did Jay Asher ask you for thirteen reasons why...? ;)

    Seriously, though, its sounds like you had a great time, Jessie. All the best waiting on beta feedback. May the thinking and learning be supremely productive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to the SCBWI conference in Kansas in November... Not quite the same! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me: jealous. Glad you had so much fun! It looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete