Wednesday, August 13, 2014
- __3__ Gratitudes (long vacations, generous family, and lots of sunshine)
- __2__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (smoothies that have tons of sugar are still super healthy, right?)
- __0 hrs Spent Writing (reading is taking precedence at the moment)
- _1__ Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (summer coconut curry. Even the neighbors found it "delightful!")
Today, I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday- a weekly writing meme to stay in touch.
WHAT I'M READING-
- Beta-reading for two more friends. I'm earning my trade with the new French bookt. Gotta have a ton of eyes before I send it off to my agent.
WHAT I'M WRITING-
- Trying to write a title to the French book. It's not just coming to me...
WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW-
- Post SCBWI notes: How to Find A Title Presentation by my agent Sarah Davies. And because I'm in the need of much karmic blessings, I shall share the simple five step approach Sarah shared during her speech:
- Sit down and relax with your favorite drink. This should be relaxing...not stressful. And it should be an easy choice. (Cokie, check). Maybe for you this is tea, wine, whiskey infused with unicorn dreams. Whatever. Just drink your magic potion.
- Get a pencil and paper (no laptop) and begin writing down all the brainstorming words that you can think that have anything to do with your story. Nouns, adjectives, verbs, write them all down. Don't discriminate, just let your mind unleash its chunky, crazy-glory all over the page. Do this as long as your brain allows.
- Take a break. Wipe away all your sweat, tears, and other bodily fluids. Then come back and begin circling all the words that jump off the page to you. Active words, meaningful words, delicious words.
- Lastly, try to string together some of the words to make a phrase, a sentence, a title full of synergistic beauty.
- Sit back and admire your award-winning result (and hide the rest because if someone found it then they might have reasonable cause to commit you to the mental hospital).
WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO-
- School shopping for all my little minions.
- Deep cleaning my house after all the post-vacation shoving of items in corners.
- PARTICIPATING AS A MENTOR IN PITCH WARS!!!! You guys the writing contest officially opened yesterday. You don't want to miss out on this opportunity to work with amazing authors and get unprecedented exposure to some of the most awesome agents in the biz. Check it out here: PitchWars by Brenda Drake.
What's up with you?