Wednesday, August 27, 2014

What's Up Wednesday

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (nicer weather, getting back on schedule, kids going to school)
  • __2__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (Sleepytime Tea is my friend)
  • __0 hrs  Spent Writing (boo)
  • _1__  Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (school lunches aren't so fancy, but the kids seem to like them)

Today, I'm participating in What's Up Wednesday- a weekly writing meme to stay in touch.



WHAT I'M READING- 
  • PitchWars contest submissions. I can't believe how much Fantasy that I've received as a Mentor. Is Fantasy the biggest thing in the pub world right now?! I know that the agents participating in this particular contest haven't indicated their looking for a lot of Fantasy, but it sure seems like that's what people want to write! Which is so interesting to me. I suppose it ALWAYS comes down to good writing and a stand-out story...and I've got a ton of that in my PitchWars inbox. :)

WHAT I'M WRITING- 
  • Not much lately. School started for the childrens this week and it's been a bit crazy. With a pre-k, kindergarten and third grader to carpool, buying supplies, attending back to school events, etc., I haven't made much time to write. I keep telling myself that things will settle down in a week or two and I'll get some "me time" back.

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW-
  • Listening to the audio book THE ALCHEMYST: THE SECRETS OF THE IMMORTAL NICHOLAS FLAMEL. It's such a well-told story. It feels like a classic so often that when the narrator refers to modern things like football or email, it seems so out of place. Also, I really love the actor who narrates the audio version, Denis O'Hare, who plays the part of a very bad dude in HBO's TRUE BLOOD. Some books are just so much better in audio version, and I would dare say this is one of them. 


WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO-
  • Just trying to keep up...

What's up with you?

Love,
Jessie 

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad PitchWars is going great for you. I hope you find the perfect Mentee. Thanks for sharing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always notice a lot of fantasy by contests too. I've grown used to the fact that my own genre, historical, isn't common or popular by contests, either among entrants or judges. A few of the PitchWars mentors even expressed a dislike for historical on their wish list posts, which I thought was kind of rude and uncalled for. Just say which genres you want and which you're not best-qualified to judge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you find something awesome in your PitchWars slush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's loads of fantasy and sci-fi over at WriteOnCon, too. Makes me happy, seeing as I'm rather fond of the genres. Good luck picking your mentee! :D

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're having a good pitch wars. I think at least some fantasy is always being published. Even now that contemporary is the hot thing to publish, I'm still seeing authors debut with fantasies. I'm glad because I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Trying to keep up..." I hear ya. I keep saying "YES" when I need to say "I HAVE NO TIME AT ALL" - instead I just need to find a way to NOT SLEEP. Also. MISS YOUR ADORABLE FACE ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to get started on my ghostwriting jobs today. Happy to say that while I had a big drop in June it has now picked up and I'm getting a lot of requests to create plots for books. Glad you have things to do Jessie, it's the boredom that will really get to you. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete