Monday, January 5, 2015

Killer Monday: 2014, Please Don't Leave Me

Jessie’s Bullets: Cock It and Pull It.

Monday, January 5, 2014
  • __3__ Gratitudes (January sunshine, flip flops in the sand, friends who come to stay)
  • __2__ Units of Caffeinated (or otherwise non-water) Beverages (I love Pero! 5 points to anyone who knows what that is!)
  • __2 hrs  Spent Writing (revising doesn't ever feel as productive as drafting to me :/)
  • _3__  Culinary Delights/Disasters Created With Own Hands (German pancakes, BBQ chicken & steak, feta salad, and Nutella crepes for dessert...yes, it felt like I was in the kitchen most of the day.)
Bummer alert: So I'm actually really sad that 2014 is over. It was so awesome in so many ways that I am having a hard time letting go. 2014 was kind of like a beautiful relationship in high school for me:
  • Landed my first kiss (i.e. published my debut book)
  • Partied like freshman rockstar at Homecoming (i.e. threw a launch party)
  • Rounded to second base (i.e. published the sequel)
  • Partied like a sophomore rockstar at Prom (i.e. threw another launch party)
  • Had a whirlwind romance (i.e. travelled, attended writing conferences, book festivals/signings, etc.)
  • Fell desperately in love (i.e. basked in the glow when my books became Amazon Bestsellers)
And then it all ended before I was ready, before I wanted to let go, before I knew it... (because he ran off with another girl...thanks a lot Josh Hunter!) Anywayz, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, books and stuff...

So excuse me while I reminisce about how great a year 2014 was not only for me, but others around me. 
  • My writing partner Erin Summerill wrote a fabulous YA Fantasy which landed the literary agent of her dreams, Josh Adams of Adams Literary, in 2014. She waited long and worked hard for her moment in the sun and I'm so happy for her. If there's one nugget of gold to be learned from watching her journey to becoming agented, it's that it never hurts to be nice to agents you meet in person. Erin attended writing conferences for years and made friends with dozens of agents, all of whom remembered her. In the end, agents were fighting for the chance to work with her
  • My friend and Mentee from PitchWars, Mara Rutherford, also landed her dream agent, John Cusick of Greenhouse Literary, with her YA Russian Fairytale Retelling. The way this happened is actually miraculous. Through the online PitchWars contest opportunity, she garnered over ten requests and several offers from the participating agents. Although John Cusick wasn't participating in PitchWars this year, I wondered if he'd like to take a peek. (I know John because he is an agent at my literary agency). Here's the miracle part: John majored in Russian Literature in college! And he'd been looking for a Russian story like this for years! Just so freaking ridiculously awesome. 
I know that 2015 will be amazing. It will be full of adventure, fresh ideas, new experiences, and all that crap. But right now, please allow me this break up period with my first love, 2014, who touched me in all the right ways in all the right places. I will always love you 2014.

Love, 
Jessie

15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! You had an amazing year last year. And I was so impressed with all your fantastic promotion ideas for your book.

    Congrats also to your friends. Tell them to keep me in mind when they debut and to let me know right away when they get a deal and that they are your friends. I'd love to have Josh as an agent too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, your 2014 was definitely epic! Mine wasn't too bad either, thanks to you :) I'm so happy Erin got an agent too! And knowing you, 2015 is going to be even more awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jessie on your amazing year! You continually inspire me with your zeal, positivity, and beautiful nature inside and out. I know that 2015 will be another incredible year for you and I can't wait to devour more of your books. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2014 was an amazing year for you! Congrats lady! 2015 is sure to be amazing for you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your 2014 was so awesome. May your 2015 be twice as nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a good 2014, and I hope that 2015 is even better. I kind of wish that I could relive 2014, so that I could do several things differently. But then again I feel that about several years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad 2014 was awesome for you! I'm sure this year will be as well!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll claim my 5pts now! Pero!!! Congrats to Erin and Mara! Their journey is inspiring! And big kudos to your high schoolish book year! Hope the after grad party is amazing (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ack! I can't believe you wrote about me. I should've cuddled closer to you this morning when we were in bed so I could see what you were writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, you rocked 2014, Jessie. And I get 5 points for knowing what Pero is--love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome, Jessie! So happy for you and all you accomplished and celebrated in 2014. Here's to an awesome 2015!! I'm so proud to be agency sisters with you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. So excited for Erin and Mara. I'll be sure to pre order their books when they're available. 2014 was your year, and I'm sure many more great years are in store for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad 2014 was such a great year for you, Jessie. Here's to 2105 being just as fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. his admin very beautiful.
    greetings. by: obat bius semprot obat bius semprot

    ReplyDelete